IT and Software
Key industry advantages
- Information technology, software, and other hi-tech industries represent a key industry cluster in the Greater Dubuque market. Companies located here include IBM, Change Healthcare, Cartegraph, and others.
- Iowa’s central time zone allows companies to stretch the regular work day to conveniently service customers on both coasts, as well as Canada and Mexico.
- The Greater Dubuque region is equipped with dual fiber redundancy provided by CenturyLink. If an interruption occurs, service will be routed through the secondary line to prevent downtime.
- Dubuque has an estimated total of 9,403 people in these industries within the laborshed area. To learn more about the region’s available workforce in the IT and Software category, please view our laborshed information.
- There are more than 326,000 college students within a 100-mile radius and 32,000 in the tri-state area providing a highly-skilled workforce pipeline.
- The Greater Dubuque region offers a unique, targeted, and proven employee recruitment tool for the tri-state market called AccessDubuqueJobs.com.
- The State of Iowa New Jobs Training Program, administered by Northeast Iowa Community College, provides funding for various costs associated with new worker training and education.
State Business Advantages
- Iowa is one of only a few states in the nation to consistently offer a refundable research and development activities tax credit.
- In the State of Iowa, there is:
- No sales tax on computers/peripherals used in the processing or storage of data.
- No sales tax on custom software.
- No sales tax on interstate or international telecommunications.